Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Selecting a Reader



I wrote this for those writers who are trying to pinpoint a certain audience when they write. I originally wrote this as a sort of dedication for my poetry anthology for my Creative Writing class, but something about it spoke to me; I didn't know who I was writing about as I wrote it, but once I read it through I could see who I had been subconsciously picturing. I've always been a sucker for guys like this; they're so tragically adorable. So, without further ado, here is my original poem "Selecting a Reader."



He should be confused
lost even
Searching for himself
in the maze of adolescence

He should be curious
enthralled with the beauty surrounding him
Accepting other’s individuality
welcoming it with arms spread wide

He should be the quiet one
who no one ever thinks to befriend
Assuming he is content
in his solitude

He should polite
always holding the door open for others
before himself
because he is blind to his own beauty

It emanates from his core
in vibrant pulses of genuity
visible to all except he
without the confidence to ask

the one of his dreams
fearing he is unworthy
of her unparalleled beauty
when he, in fact, parallels

1 comment:

  1. Jessie!!! I love this. You are so descriptive in this poem

    ReplyDelete